Friday, March 01, 2013

Crayon Creations

I love Valentine's Day! This year, for my kiddo's treat bag to each of his friends at school, I wanted to make a crayon thingie. I've been saving up crayons for many years (broken ones from home, those received at restaurants to keep kids occupied, some found along long walks.) I wanted to make ones that were heart shaped but all I had was one for gingerbread looking figures so that's what we used. Here's my process:

First, I sorted the crayons into Crayola crayons and the offbrand ones. I wasn't sure whether it made a difference but I didn't want to mix them, just in case. I then took the paper off of each of them. This took the longest time.
Photobucket

I did a 'test' by melting Crayola crayon pieces next to generic crayon pices just to see if there were a difference. There was! I decided to only use Crayola crayons for this project. The Crayola one is on the left and the generic one is on the right.
Photobucket

Next, I cut my Crayola crayons into tiny pieces.
Photobucket

Here's one pile I made.
Photobucket

I then put all the pieces into the molds.
Photobucket

I then baked them at 230 degrees for 15 minutes.
Photobucket

Here's a closer look at them. They are dried and cooled but look wet because of the light/camera flash.
Photobucket

They popped right up from the mold and were a great turn-out!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

OMG I LOVE your idea
They look GORGEOUS