Friday, January 22, 2016

The End of 2015

The last few months have been full of excitement and change. I've finally completed my breast cancer treatment (radiation) in October. While there are so many bigger issues I've dealt with and will still deal with for many years, one little annoying one is having to not being able to open things with my fingers, like these little butter things I wanted to open for my biscuits.

 photo 42d0c973-1a17-4b6e-a4cf-832b1baf142c_zpsnwr5hmxq.jpg

Just before Thanksgiving, my MIL passed away. The last ten years have been rough for her. From breaking her hip , moving into an assisted living facility and declining in health and mind. I reread my blog entries today and loved to see where I had written here or there about her. It reminds me of how much I loved her. From eating ice cream , spending quality time in the hospital, , taking her to doctor appointments, not recognizing me anymore, celebrating birthdays with her, and all the times in between. I have been missing her for a decade, and still do. I know she's up in heaven looking down and smiling. At her memorial service, my girls and I took a picture.

 photo ab5a1f25-e98c-4909-9032-7a20e74af43e_zpswjnyi11j.jpg

Christmas preparations were interrupted by another surgery (gall bladder) but it ended up peaceful and festive. I was definitely in a different place than I was a year ago, oblivious of the raging cancer growing within me. I have a whole new perspective on friendships as well. There are those friends and family who don't know what to say so they slip away quietly. And then there are those who have always been there and who continue to shine brightly like SIL Patti. Having been a BC survivor, she was a calm voice in a sea of anxiety and her never ending greeting cards throughout the year were priceless. My brother Mike who lives next door was a huge help especially with picking up and dropping off my kiddos as were my daughters. And then there are those who were acquaintances and then moved up into the friend category with their assistance. My friend Kathy brought lots of food for the entire family probably once a month for the whole year. In addition, the fact that she had to come by the house forced me to get up and clean. It would take a few days in those days when I was really sick with chemo and that was great motivation to remain in the 'real world.' Of course, my hubby stayed by my side the entire time. I had other friends who were very helpful and I am grateful to have a wonderful circle of friends and family. I'm very blessed.

No comments: