Sunday, August 16, 2009

A few days ago, my family and I met a friend at a local restaurant. While we were eating, we heard the lady at the next table talking to her friend. She had a kind of a loud voice and her vocabulary included lots of profanity. I was amazed she didn't notice that we were staring at her or that there were kids around. My daughter decided, in her anger, that the best thing to do would be to cuss the lady out. I told her that she would then be just as bad as the lady was. So then I was stressing about keeping my daughter's rage under control as well as being angry at the patron near us. As it turned out, my husband took our little ones to the playground located down the hall (of the mall where the restaurant was located.) My daughter then left as I was getting ready to pay the bill. The foul mouthed lady actually got up to pay and was right behind me in line. For the life of me, as much as I wanted to say something to her, I couldn't even open my mouth. I have thought about it so many times since then about what I should have said to her. She was discussing her drinking habits with the guy she ate lunch with and I thought to myself that her whole demeanor and tone probably meant that whatever I said wouldn't have phased her a bit. But, I am still kicking myself for not having found a way to diplomatically urge her to notice next time who was sitting near her or to talk quieter, or anything. Ugh!

2 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

Uggggh isnt that awful !I bet nothing you said would have made a difference htough
SOme people are beyond hope

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

Hi! I saw that you left me a few comments on my blog recently, so I thought I would come over and say hello. :-)

I know exactly what you are talking about here. This has happened to me a lot and it always infuriates me. But like you, I often don't have the words to voice my thoughts and then kick myself about not having spoken up.