Monday, February 08, 2010

in the waiting room...

...where it seems that you wait forever, I enjoyed the time away from home because I brought a book from my bookshelf that had been begging to be read but I never found the time. Thinking I'd only have about half an hour, I waited with my adult daughter for at least an hour before she was called back for her ultrasound, and then another thirty minutes.

After an acquaintance found out she had breast cancer after finding a lump in her breast two months ago, I demanded my daughter have her own lump checked out (as she had been procrastinating for many months and never really did anything about it.) Since her dad's side of the family have lots of breast cancer, there shouldn't have been any delay, in my mind, that is. But...it's difficult to insist when there is a lot of hesitation when you don't have any control. She doesn't live with me and hasn't for many years. Luckily, she gave me permission to set it all up and I paid for it as well. Better safe than sorry. Preliminarily, she was told that it looked like dense tissue so it doesn't hint of tumor which makes me feel less stressed.

While reading and barely noticing others talking around me or the noise of whatever gameshow that was on the television in the room, I realized that my daughter had fallen asleep and her head lay on my arm as she tried to get into a comfortable position in her chair. It reminded me of when she was very young and had done that so many times. I felt very calmed......it was a great feeling, probably for the both of us.

6 comments:

JAMR said...

Another reminder that they're always our babies, no matter how old. P&PT that it comes out clean and she gets a clean bill of health.

Nancy said...

So glad you insisted she get it checked out. Sounds like a great Mommy/Daughter moment. They'll always be our babies.

Floortime Lite Mama said...

that wonderful protective feeling never goeas away does it
Hope all the tests are clear

Rachel said...

That sounds like such a "snapshot" moment that will be a cherished memory. There's nothing quite so comforting as mom's lap.

Lisa said...

Okay tears welling up.....Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Aww... I hope it all works out ok. I'm glad she let you set up the appointment and everything. =)